Essential tips for safeguarding your lips from the sun!
When people think about their Oral Health routine, lips are often forgotten. This can be damaging, especially during the summer months.
The skin on your lips is thin and contains little melanin, meaning it can’t really protect itself from sun damage.
Here are some top tips to care for your lips in the sun;
- Use a moisturising SPF lip balm on your lips and keep it topped up throughout the day.
- Keep hydrated throughout the day, especially when it is hot out and you are out in the sun.
- If you have been out in the sun all day and your lips don’t feel right, they may be sunburnt. Common signs of sunburnt lips include lips that are redder than normal, tender, swollen and/or have white blisters.
- Use an SPF lip balm with a minimum of SPF 15 and even up to SPF 30.
- For relief, put a wrapped ice pack on your lips and apply 100% aloe vera.
- Do not use a lip balm/moisturiser containing petroleum jelly.
- Anti-inflammatory medications can help ease the pain. Mild sunburn should only last 3-5 days and if this continues to get worse, contact your GP.